Elasmobranch Reproduction Resource Centre
ART in elasmobranchs includes sperm collection and quality assessment, sperm cryopreservation, artificial insemination, and monitoring female reproductive condition and gestation and could potentially be used to complement existing breeding programs for elasmobranchs in aquaria.
One of the critical issues is the lack of detailed reproductive tract anatomy of both male and female elasmobranch species. The new ERRC is designed to be an open access repository of this information. Other articles regarding elasmobranch reproduction and ART are also available. The ERRC is hosted and curated by The Aquarium Vet, and will become a useful international resource for the elasmobranch community.
Species that we have information for have been uploaded. There is a template (with directions) that can be downloaded for new species. Contributors will follow the template and submit information and pictures to The Aquarium Vet so that it can be uploaded into the ERRC. All contributions will be fully acknowledged, and will ensure the ERRC continues to establish itself a useful international resource for the elasmobranch community.
The following resources are currently available: (PDFs to download)
- Module Seven Chapter on Elasmobranch Reproduction (click here)
- Jon Daly PhD – Clinical Studies (click here)
- Ultrasound Examination and Behavior Scoring of Captive Broadnose Sevengill Sharks, Notorynchus cepedianus (Peron, 1807) (Daly et al. 2007) (click here)
- Elasmobranch Husbandry Manual chapter – The use of reproductive technologies in breeding programs for elasmobranchs in aquaria (click here)
- ERRC Submission Form (click here)